Thursday, July 15, 2010

nataly and her family

One day a while back, I decided to walk home from school. I think I had done it before but this is the first time I can remember. There are a lot of neat little shops in Taxco, and I had extra time that day, so I was stopping into a few of them, looking at what was available. I had just rounded a curve when I found an adorable little store with all kinds of cloth goods. I could have spent hours there, and it was only about 40 square feet. I looked around and talked to the girl about a few things, and then told her I was going to think about it and come back the next day.

I think a lot of people tell her that and never come back, but I did go back and bought what I wanted. As I was paying her, I glanced down at the desk and saw that she had a Bible open in front of her. Surprised, I asked, "Are you a Christian?" She nodded and smiled tentatively, and then I told her, "So am I!" We chatted for a few more minutes and I told her I would try to stop in again before I left Taxco for the summer.

At least a week went by and I hadn't yet made good on my promise, so one day probably two weeks ago, I stopped in again. I didn't intend to stay long, but we ended up talking for over an hour, I think. It amazed me that having Christ in common drew us close together so quickly.

This girl's name is Nataly, and since then I have gone in to chat with her after school sometimes every day, sometimes every other day. At one point I was telling her I like to go running in the States, and she told she sometimes does too, here, and told me there was a trail-like thing that led to some waterfalls that she sometimes runs on. I asked her if she maybe wanted to go together sometime, and she said that yeah, that would be really fun. Later we were talking about food, and she asked me if I knew how to cook. I told her that I was just learning, and that one thing that I really wanted to learn how to make was enchiladas verdes (a very common plate here - they are awesome!). She invited me to her house and told me that her mom could show me how to make them, and that then we could go up and see the trail that is by her house! I was a little nervous, but I thought it sounded like a fun idea, so on Tuesday, I rode the combi from the store to her house with her.

Nataly's family lives in a small house in a little town called Tehui, about 15 minutes outside of Taxco. I guess its in what they call the countryside, although the houses are still packed together... just the scenery is different. She has a little brother named Alan who's 6 years old (Nataly is 16) and lives her parents, who are both Christians as well.

I walked into the house, a little unsure of what to expect, but was welcomed with open arms and so many smiles. It truly amazes me, always, how you can just feel the love of Christ from people who are serving Him, even if you can't understand every word that comes out of their mouth. :) Nataly's mom, Maria Elena, was so kind and welcoming and I don't think ever stopped smiling. She had stuff all ready to teach me how to make the enchiladas and a rice dish and so we made it and then I ate with the family. But before that - we prayed before we ate! I always do that, but usually alone, because my host parents are not Christians. I actually don't usually eat at the same time as them anyway, because we're on different schedules, but nevertheless - it was a blessing to pray together.

After supper, Nataly and her family took me up the mountain behind their house. We walked on a trail to a little waterfall and then went even further to places with so many neat views of Taxco and the valley below it. It was probably one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. Here are a few pictures.


The picture above is of Nataly and I. The picture below is just a photo of the countryside that I really liked. We had a beautiful evening to climb.


Above is a picture of me with Nataly and her family. Sorry we're so far away - it was hard to find places to set the camera for the self-timer. :)
The whole evening was one of my favorite memories so far of my time here. I continue to feel God's divine interventions in my life, leading me towards the people and places He wants me to meet and see, and I feel so blessed. My friendship with Nataly has been so special and of all the people I have met here, she will be the one who is hardest to say good-bye to. At first glance we don't have a lot in common, but because we are both believers, we found it so easy to trust and confide in one another. God is good!


"Packing up the dreams God planted
In the fertile soil of you
I can't believe the hopes He's granted
Means a chapter in your life is through

And with the faith and love God's given
Springin' from the hope we know
We will pray the joy you live in
Is the strength that now you show

But we'll keep you close as always
It won't even seem you've gone
'Cause our hearts in big and small ways
Will keep the love the keeps us strong

And friends are friends forever
If the Lord's the Lord of them
And a friend will not say 'never'
'Cause the welcome will not end
Though it's hard to let you go
In the Father's hands we know
That a lifetime's not too long
To live as friends!"

(Friends, Michael W. Smith)

3 comments:

Alan & Sarah said...

Oh Hannah, many of your posts have made me laugh, but this one made me cry! God bless your last week there.
love,
Sarah

Jackie and David said...

What a neat experience, Hannah! How encouraging it must have been to find a family of believers! I am encouraged! Thanks for sharing!!!!

Jackie

Hannah said...

Sarah, Indeed - I have found myself in that state many times - sometimes laughing and crying at the same time. God is teaching me so much but I cannot wait to see you all.

Jackie, so glad it was an encouragement! God leaves me speechless so many times with his incredible provision. Looking forward to seeing you soon!

love to all!
Hannah