There are essentially six types of places where you can get food here. In no particular order, they are:
1. the street
2. the market - which I really love. I wish you could all just come see it! I put some pictures below, because I can't really describe it.
3. the Super Issste - a little hole in the wall type store - I'd compare it to CVS kind of - with really, really nice people who recognize me and always help me find what I need
4. Super Che - something between IGA and County Market, only a lot less expensive, and everything is in Spanish
5. Bodega Aurrera - Wal-Mart has unfortunately invaded even the colonial town of Taxco. I do not like this place at all, really.
6. restaurants
I have actually bought food at all of these places, although on the street the only thing I've bought is fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice, which is amazing.
Today, though, I just went to the Super Che and the market. The Super Che is on my way home from school - I just walk there and get my groceries and then hop on a combi for the rest of the way home. Unfortuantely, I am not an efficient grocery shopper in the States, much less in Mexico, so I spent a significant amount of time wandering around considering the possibilities and trying to figure out just exactly what everything was. I mostly got along fine, but when it came to the meat department... I needed ground beef. And I found the package that looked like ground beef. But then it occurred to me that I didn't really know how to say 'ground beef'. Thankfully, there were no other packages that looked like ground beef, so I just bought it. I told Mom last night that I was unintentionally going vegetarian simply because I haven't had time to buy meat or figure out what to do with it, so hopefully my purchases today will end that trend. :)
My favorite part of the Super Che is definitely the bakery - or the 'panadería'. They have every type of bread, roll, doughnut, etc. that you could possibly imagine and you just walk around with this little tray and pick out what you want. I really want to find a little store that is just a panadería because they would have even more!
Anyway, about an hour later, I finally got to the check-out counter and paid my $400 pesos for groceries there (that's actually about $32, in case you're wondering). :) I left the store with a lot of groceries and the "Super Che cuesta menos" song running through my head. Think "Save big money at Menards" only a lot more annoying.
I rode the combi home and dropped off all that stuff, and then I headed down the street to the market. I spent about $7.50 and I got a papaya, a mini watermelon, some peaches, a bunch of carrots, limónes, some type of squash that I need for some soup, and several tomatoes, so I didn't think that was too bad.
This is the little place where I usually get most of my vegetables. This is on the corner, and you can see behind it basically there are just really narrow little walkways, with a bunch of little stands made out of plywood and two-by-fours.
The first time I ever went to the market with Soledad, she took a picture of me buying my meat and cheese. It's kind of like the deli at home - you pick your stuff and then they slice it for you - on a much smaller scale.
So that's my shopping experience. I wanted to take more pictures in the market but I already stand out because I'm American so pulling out the camera doesn't really help my case. And flashes aren't very discreet. :)
On another note entirely, before any of you start worrying too much about Seth, he actually did not break his finger. I called last night, all concerned about him, and Mom just laughed and she was like "oh, he didn't actually break his finger..." but he was conveniently in bed sleeping when I called. Ugh. His left pinky finger. I should have known. I can't believe I believed him! And put it on here too. It was so believable. Here, this is the email he sent me:
"Yo!!!!!! What's up?
Boys camp was soooooo much fun even though I broke my left pinky finger... thats why im having a hard time typing with it.... but its lightening now so i gotta go... ill talk later.
seth"
Seth, if you do something dumb like that again, I'm going to bring you home a dead cockroach as a souvenir. Actually, they sell these one things that are like this glass dome with a dead cockroach entombed inside. Me and Emily saw them the other day. Maybe I'll get you one of those. Anyway, you should probably start thinking of ways to redeem yourself right now. That said, after I got done being mad, it made me laugh a lot and I love you. :) Mom says you've been walking around the house with your head in a pillowcase, though, so I guess I should count my blessings that I only have to deal with a limited amount of your 'creativity'. :)
Ok, well, sixteen pages later... I think that's it for today. I can't believe it's only Monday. Have a blessed week!
8 comments:
how did your test go? were you just buying lots of food as post-exam therapy? not a bad strategy, really.
oh, and we don't really need any souvenirs. :-)
-brent & janelle
HI Hannah! We love reading your posts and keeping up with what you are doing....you often make us laugh! Sounds like Seth is figuring out how to "get you" even when you are in different countries. Hey, someone I know does a blog and they have it printed at the end of each year or whatever....there is some online place that will print your blog in book form. You really need to have that done at the end of the summer. I'll try to get you the info. Take care!
love and prayers,
Alan & Sarah
oh! I totally forgot I took a test today. :) It went well - I basically wrote for an hour and a half - it was that kind - but overall ok I think. I guess I'll find out tomorrow.
And grocery shopping in Spanish DEFINITELY is not therapy.
I wasn't planning on bringing you any souvenirs - unless you would also like a dead cockroach. but thanks for clarifying. :)
Hi Sarah!
Sorry, that above was in response to Brent and Janelle's comment - you left a comment at the same time I left that one so I didn't get yours until after I published the other one. and that is an AWESOME idea - I was wondering if I could print it. that would be super if you could get me that information.
I'm glad you're enjoying the blog - I love writing it. :) Thanks for the many prayers - hopefully all is well in Indiana!
love,
Hannah
Hi Hannah!
Mom and Dad say to tell you that she decided that the "ground beef" could be anything from ground goat to several day old ground turkey. :)
But my comment is just that I think that Seth gives me double doses of annoyingness since you aren't here :)
Love Leah
I told mom that I wasn't going to look up 'ris' in the dictionary until after I ate it. But turns out its beef. I asked Soledad what animal it was from. :)
anyway, I can't imagine what it must be like. I hope you're still alive when I get home. you could fly down here and visit! :)
much love!
Hannah
I'm glad it was beef!
maybe i should just take a detour on the way to Jamaica :)
Love Leah
totally! it's right on the way. :)
when do you leave for jamaica?
Post a Comment